Friday, February 15, 2013

The Pope's Abdication

Earlier in the week the world learned that the Holy Father is abdicating the See of Peter at 8 PM Roman time on the 28th of February 2013. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share.


  • I was shocked to hear the news, because I thought it wasn't serious. But I shouldn't have been, because all the signs were laid before us. 
  • I have cried on a few occasions. I am a human not gifted with the insight and awareness that Pope Benedict is. Although we know that our reward is with Christ, who is the Light at the end of the tunnel, we are going to be scared. I think the preparation for the times of tribulation are worse for the faithful, because we know not the hour nor the day. 
  • Apparently the media was shocked on his election in 2005. I wanted him to be Pope, because I knew that he was important and that I didn't want the others to be Pope. Interesting.
  • The next Pope needs to have more episcopal experience as well as experience in the Roman Curia.
  • He also needs to be of the same liturgical perspective that Pope Benedict is.
  • Someone like Cardinal Burke.
  • Or Cardinal Ranjith of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
  • Or...Cardinal Tong Hon of Hong Kong.
  • I am grateful for Summorum Pontificum and Anglicanorum Coetibus.
  • He is the Pope of Christian Unity.
  • The next Pope will be strong. This is God's will. He would not do something against God's will. I feel that as Pope in a challenging time Pope Benedict has been blessed with special graces and understanding. It is for the good of Holy Mother Church, and what is God's will if not doing the right thing for the Church?
  • We will miss him dearly.
  • Fr. Z and others in the Catholic blogosphere have already said what I feel, for the most part.
  • The next Pope will be European-minded. After all, that is the core region of the New Evangelization.
  • We will pray for him.
  • We will pray for his successor.
  • We will pray for the College of Cardinals, the bishops, and all the clergy.

No comments:

Post a Comment