Thursday, February 14, 2013

Tu Es Petrus

This is from the last public Mass of the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI. It is the most beautiful version I have ever heard. I guess if you are going to sing it for him one last time, then it's going to be awesome.

Now, I don't like the clapping, and I wish all had imitated the bishops who genuflected to him. I hope he was not thinking, "Have they not listened to me at all?" He is the man, after all, who said this:
"Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment."
Look, I know it's his last Mass. I know Msgr. Marini, the dedicated Papal Master of Liturgical Ceremonies, clapped a little. I know he's the Holy Father, and we are really applauding his service to Christ. But this had little dignity.

We will miss you, Holy Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment