Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Just Too Cool: Cardinal Burke

Recently, I wrote to Cardinal Burke, to follow-up with our meeting last summer. I filled him in on my college hunt, since he had asked about where I was looking, invited him to dinner (hey, go big or go home, right?), and offered to serve his Mass if he ever dropped by St. Martin of Tours...

Cardinal Burke celebrating a TLM
Well, my former pastor Fr. Klotter, who is now pastor of Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Louisville (where my sister attends the parochial school) happens to be a canon lawyer. He was corresponding via email with the Apostolic Signatura, of which Cardinal Burke is the Prefect of. They told him that a young man from Louisville had recently written to the cardinal...me. Go figure a personal letter rises to the top of his mail pile, two weeks before the conclave no less. Cardinal Burke always tries to respond to less formal or persoonal correspondence, but I was not expecting anyone to get to it until June! Perhaps the picture print sent it up the top of the chain? Anyways, Fr. Klotter 'claimed' me, and since they told him of my offer, Fr. Klotter decided to add me to the servers' roster for the Church Teaches Forum Mass this summer!

The forum begins on Friday, July 12 at 5:30 PM at the Galt House Hotel in downtown Louisville with Holy Mass, followed by dinner and the keynote address. For those abstaining from meat, fish is on the menu too! The forum continues on Saturday with Mass, lunch, discussions, and more opportunities to visit Catholic vendors and apostolates, who all need our support with money and prayer! It is run by the Eternal Life apostolate founded by Fr. John Hardon, S.J., Servant of God, who became a close mentor to a young priest, named Raymond Burke, who has promoted Fr. Hardon's work for years as he sees it as important for the Christian life. I definitely encourage any Louisvillians or anyone able to travel here to attend! St. Martin's traditionally provides the vestments, choir members, servers, and liturgical furnishings for the Masses . Cardinal Arinze has been known to say his private Mass at St. Martin's; perhaps another prelate will do the same!

But...if he is elected Pope, then what? Oh well. Thy will be done, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment