Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pope Francis on the Curia


 “I see it as a body that gives service, a body that helps me and serves me. Sometimes negative news does come out, but it is often exaggerated and manipulated to spread scandal. Journalists sometimes risk becoming ill from coprophilia and thus fomenting coprophagia: which is a sin that taints all men and women, that is, the tendency to focus on the negative rather than the positive aspects. The Roman Curia has its down sides, but I think that too much emphasis is placed on its negative aspects and not enough on the holiness of the numerous consecrated and lay people who work in it.”

YES, YES, and YES! Why is it assumed that a priest who rises in the Curia is not pastoral? The bishops  serve the Curia as well, since they function in one of the congregations or council, I think, at sometime after their episcopal appointment. 

The Pope is also right to point out that the media (gotta give credit to the Italian paparazzi for this one) nearly always pictures the Curia in a nasty way. I sorta retract my commentary, and will simply say I am concerned, but not necessarily because of what I know about the Holy Father's service as the Archbishop of Buenos Aires. I wish it truly was October 1978, and that one could not instantly look at his official biography Wikipedia page or dozens hundreds of articles and blog posts on a virtually unknown figure.

The first step to reform is to hold meetings akin to the American presidential cabinet, each week, or biweekly to start. Unless cardinals desire to lie in front of the Vicar of Christ or plain not show up, I think that will end the inter-congregational communication problems fairly quickly, and the rest will fall into line soon thereafter.

By the way, I think he looks like Pope John Paul I. "Il Papa del Sorriso" might be his new nickname!

Fr Z really hits a homer on this one, and that's funny cuz Pope Francis also looks like Yogi Berra!

Also, I feel like such a dope for commenting on his vestments! Look, he has Msgr. Marini and co. (so funny that I know at least the faces of the papal MCs and assistants), and the vestments were probably too small!

No comments:

Post a Comment