Saturday, June 15, 2013

Technology and Meeting New People

I traveled to Franciscan with my parents and little sister for their pre-orientation event on Thursday and Friday. A few thoughts:

We need to make the most of our time, and just do things when they need to get done, and when we can seize an opportunity to do them. I was in the car for six and a half hours. So, I memorized the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar. Yippee!! Small example of fairly little consequence for others, true. But I don't think we use time effectively, and we wait around on others to do things.

Technology is great. I like being able to interact with my classmates in distant locales via Facebook, Twitter, and Oovoo. But we are addicted to our phones. I am very guilty of looking at my phone too much, instead of looking at my partner in a conversation, or using it as an excuse not to get up to talk to people. Is Facebook really going to change that much in 5, 10 minutes? No, I don't think so.

This was compounded by the awkwardness of having one or two parents surrounding each student on Friday. Look, I don't want to meet the parents. I want to meet the student. We teenagers already have enough time socializing with each other. Let's not add the parents to the mix! ;)

Seriously though. I'm not trying to reconstruct a bygone era, say the 1950s. But I think there is a problem with the way technology interferes with our relationships with our peers and elders. I literally knew peoples' names and indeed faces, but I never talked to them...now there were a lot of people there. But I failed, kinda miserably. I don't think I was trying to deliberately avoid people. And sure, I know people feel uncomfortably around new people and situations. But it's bad, really bad, today.

Oh, and manners. My dad got irritated with several truckers, and pointed out that there is an entire generation that is completely self-centered. Well then. What are we going to do about it?



No comments:

Post a Comment