Saturday, August 24, 2013

Suscipe, Sancte Pater

When I started this blog, I wanted to call it Introibo Ad Altare Dei. But as luck would have it, a priest has claimed it, and not subsequently blogged for six years. Oh well! So I randomly picked the incipit to a prayer that I thought was in the traditional Mass, Suscipe Sancte Pater.

Now, I realize that this blog is indeed an offering to our Heavenly Father. It is an expression of the development of my faith, my love for Our Lord in the Holy Mass (which always needs to increase!). It is a way for me to see the plan in which Our Lord is using me to spread the Gospel and lead people to Him, whether it be friends, family, or others. It also reflects my weak state as a fallen man, a sinner.

Suscipe, sancte Pater, omnipotens aeterne Deus, hanc immaculatam hostiam, quam ego indignus famulus tuus offero tibi, Deo meo vivo et vero, pro innumerabilibus peccatis, et offensionibus, et negligentiis meis, et pro omnibus circumstantibus, sed et pro omnibus fidelibus Christianis vivis atque defunctis: ut mihi, et illis proficiat ad salutem in vitam aeternam. Amen.

Accept, O Holy Father, Almighty and eternal God, this spotless host, which I, Thine unworthy servant, offer to Thee, my living and true God, to atone for my numberless sins, offenses and negligences; on behalf of all here present and likewise for all faithful Christians living and dead, that it may profit me and them as a means of salvation to life everlasting. Amen.

Indeed, this is the prayer-as you can tell- that is recited at the offering of the host in the usus antiquior, as shown in the photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment