Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tantum Ergo Sacramentum: Interesting Hymn Setting

Someone from Franny posted on Facebook about the Flannery O'Connor short story she is reading, "A Temple of the Holy Ghost." In the story, the characters sing Tantum Ergo Sacramentum for two Protestants, who say, "That must be Jew music." I think O'Connor probably had the chant in mind-unfortunately, I left her complete collection at home...- but she posted this version of the hymn on Facebook.

I know this version as the music for the hymn, "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent." For instance, the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles sing this on their album Angels and Saints at Ephesus. Splendid.

I much prefer this hymn tune to the atrocious one used in virtually every parish for Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. Unfortunately, I think it's the one that O'Connor probably sang too. It's actually easier than chant, I think, but a wee bit harder than the other one.

St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment