Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Prayer in the TLM...

The post prior to last was on prayer. I meant to add this, but it works as a second post.

There is a versicle at the end of the prayers of the foot of the altar. I think it's important that we emphasize this as we approach the altar to offer the supreme sacrifice of love. We approach begging the Lord for mercy and asking Him to hear our prayers. This idea is not structured very well in the Missal of Paul VI as this dialogue is completely absent; the most we get might be the introduction to the Confiteor, which by this point has already occurred. And before any of my friends at FUS declare me a Modernist, yes I prefer this in Latin, but double-posting is a pain!

V. Thou wilt turn, O God, and bring us to life. R. And Thy people shall rejoice in Thee. V. Show us, O Lord, Thy mercy. R.T And grant us Thy salvation. V. O Lord, hear my prayer. R. And let my cry come unto Thee. V. The Lord be with you. R. And with thy spirit. 
BTW the last part of the versicle "Domine, exaudi orationem meam..." is also at the end of the Asperges me and the various litanies of the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment