Saturday, December 28, 2013

Biebl's Ave Maria

I'm not sure why I have not posted my favorite setting of the Ave Maria yet. It is Franz Biebl's setting, which truth be told is actually a setting of the Angelus text, thus including the Ave. I find it to be stunning, especially in this version, and it is proof that modern composition does not have to be banal and insipid, or on the other hand incomprehensible, minimalist, and ugly. This a piece that aims to be beautiful, and it is a lovely piece for Our Lady. I hope it inspires us to love her more. “Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did," as St. Maximilian Kolbe reminds us. Work your way up to praying five decades of the Holy Rosary daily, and give everything to her, so that by her guidance we might become closer to her Son. Ecce ancilla Domini. Fiat mihi secundum verbum Tuum. 

I find this is appropriate sing as a choral prelude before the Masses of Christmas, which is a feast of the Incarnation alongside the Annunciation. Yes, I know, Christmas carols are nice, and I like them...and I'm also 362 days early and 3 days late on planning.

Et Verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis.

No comments:

Post a Comment