Thursday, June 5, 2014

Vespers with Juventutem Louisville

I know, I know it looks like I have abandoned blogging. Fear not, my readers! I have simply been working in the spirit of the Work, as I have begun my first job that entails 30+ hours a week, and I am even working in serving Mass before I go to work. It's demanding and it has its rewards...but one of them is not energy to blog. I have good topics to return to, so please be patient.

Much more solemn.! 
I also have on my plate right now a very exciting project that recently took hold. As you might know, on March 19th, the  feast of St. Joseph Juventutem Louisville became affiliated with  the Foederatio Internationalis Juventutem, a group for young adults (ages 16-35) seeking to promote the sanctification of young people through the sacred traditions of our faith, particularly the Traditional Latin Mass. Juventutem Louisville is not associated with any particular parish, but hopes to support all the traditional liturgies offered within the archdiocese and near vicinity. This includes my beloved home parish and others, including our host parish for this coming Sunday, which I have written about before. Our chaplain Fr. Jeffrey Leger (familiar to long-standing readers and many Louisville Catholics), who is pastor at Guardian Angels, will be offering (and I will be MC'ing): 

SUNG VESPERS
II Vespers in festo Pentecostes
Pentecost Sunday, June 8th, 2014
5pm Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament with
sung Vespers within the holy hour

Guardian Angels Catholic Church
6000 Preston Hwy, Louisville, KY 40219

(The holy hour will be followed by a potluck dinner
with a theme of sub sandwiches and fixin’s.)

Juventutem Louisville is organizing a public Sung Vespers for the feast of Pentecost according to the 1960 rubrics of the Roman Office.  A schola will sing the chant from the Liber Usualis and booklets will be provided for those who would like to follow along.  All ages welcome to attend.

Vespers is the hour of the Divine Office which has been traditionally the evening worship of the faithful.  “It is greatly to be desired that the faithful should take part in the office of vespers on Sundays and feast days in their own parish churches.  We therefore urge... that this pious custom should not be allowed to lapse, or in places, where it has already done so that it should be revived where possible.”


Pius XII, Mediator Dei.

Veni, creator Spiritus!



No comments:

Post a Comment