Tuesday, November 20, 2012

St Thomas on Loving God

To love God is something greater than to know Him-St. Thomas Aquinas
Indeed. I find this to be a problem with the whole 'having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.' What do the evangelicals mean by this? I mean something different. I wish to partake of Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar, and participate in the Divine Friendship which He has offered to me. I find the evangelical position to be well-intended, but superficial and often guilty of the sin of presumption (at least among many of the youth that I know).

Cool prayer to say when you can't receive Holy Communion:
My Jesus, I believe that Thou art present in the Blessed Sacrament. I love Thee above all things and I desire Thee in my soul. Since I cannot now receive Thee sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though thou wert already there, I embrace Thee and unite myself wholly to Thee; permit not that I should ever be separated from Thee.-the Act of Spiritual Communion,by St Alphonsus Liguori (the founder of the Redemptorists)

No comments:

Post a Comment