Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Few Thoughts

So the world was supposed to end...yesterday, according to the people who thought the Mayan Long-Count Calendar ended on December 21, 2012. The world wasn't going to end, no more than it does every December 21st. Get a new calendar, like my family does every Christmas time in preparation for the New Year. (As an aside, I think we should be ultra-Catholic, and demand that New Year celebrations be held on March 25, Lady Day, AKA the feast of the Annunciation; in Jewish lore it is the creation of the world, and for us it is the conception of Christ, and even possibly his death. Also, that would make us like Hobbits! Tolkien knew what he was doing.)

On Facebook I posted about how silly it was, and that the song "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. would get more hits. A friend responded, "Lol apocalypse parties galore!" and I joked that "the Mayans never said anything  about zombies." She then said, "Lol it's the end of the world spirit! It's kinda like Christmas spirit."

[WHOA. Stop right there.] All I could muster was, "You slapped me in the face with a salmon full of profound theological insight there. My goodness." I would drop the 'kinda' for Advent is preparing for celebrating the Nativity, and preparing ourselves to be ready for His Second Coming!

I went to Mass yesterday at St Louis Bertrand in Old Louisville. It's a beautiful parish staffed by the Dominican Friars. Confessions are heard from 11:00, and the line closes at 11:45, but they will usually work their way through anyone already in line. I must have been person number 30 in line at 11:35! WOW! How awesome is that! Three priests were hearing confessions, and Fr Elias Henritzy, O.P. hears confessions in a two-sided confessional, which means he can switch sides as one person exits and another enters. They must have heard 100 confessions, and I'm not exaggerating by much. I know Christmas is coming up, but I wonder if this whole apocalypse talk brought people to Confession...good comes out of strange places sometimes.

Fr Dominic Fields, O.P. gave an insightful homily on joy and love for Christ which was inspired by the first reading from Song of Songs and the Gospel from the Visitation; he's right, and especially so, since we are presented with this beautiful message of love in Songs, which is so short that it's rarely read at Mass, and the Visitation is exactly how we should approach Christ with all one's heart, mind, soul, and strength.

Today, the rest of the family went to Confession, and again, the line was huge. I was able to make a really wonderful Holy Hour and prayed the Rosary. (I forgot that they have a Holy Hour on Saturday at 11:00.) Too bad we couldn't have waited 5 minutes before leaving, because they were going to say the Angelus, and Fr Elias was going to offer Benediction! Gah! Always in a hurry, aren't we?

Speaking of the Dominicans, happy 796th birthday! On this day in 1216, Pope Honorius III approved the constitution of the Order of Friars Preachers.

Christmas...almost here...come quickly, please Baby Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment