Monday, January 21, 2013

I Die the King's Good Servant, but God's First.


This is a picture of the good Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia at the inauguration today. The people on Twitter were deeply puzzled by it, calling it everything from a Renaissance painter's hat to a Vatican guard hat. Look, I appreciate the ability to use Twitter to plant a seed of the Gospel in someone's heart, but the reduction in intellectual capability that can come with it is just outrageous. And please don't think me uncharitable for that. I truly think if we were without the Net, we might would be better off, at least to a point. Also, no, I'm not being hypocritical even as I write this blog entry. The Net is the new printing press, but combine it with the modern/post-modern paradigm and you have a recipe for leading people away from Christ. Fr. Z for instance, blocks people frequently, and I earnestly believe that he is doing an outstanding job in his ministry, considering how many people he reaches and either brings to Christ, or enhance their union with Him. But there aren't enough of him to outweigh the trolls and the demons that influence them. It just makes me really sad to see a world like this,

Anways, it is actually a custom-made replica of the hat worn by St. Thomas More in the portrait painted by Hans Holbein the Younger, where the saint is wearing the regalia of the Chancellor of England. Sheesh. I didn't know that's what it was either, but a) I think it's cool, and b) why is everybody so dismissive of what it is? Sometimes when religion is mentioned, it is 'apparently' but it's as if the speaker wishes it wasn't so.

I do not think that he wore this for the mere fact of keeping his head warm. Scalia, the good Catholic father of nine children, knows exactly what St. Thomas More means to Catholic lawyers, particularly those in the United States at this time with abortion, same-sex 'marriage,' and the HHS contraception decree serving as a three-pronged attack on the Church and indeed, the ability for anybody to reach Heaven.

By the way, a friend of Scalia's described him as such:
This kid was a conservative when he was 17 years old. An archconservative Catholic. He could have been a member of the Curia. He was the top student in the class. He was brilliant, way above everybody else.
I think Justice Scalia would shake his head and just go on trying to perfect his imperfections...that's what I'd do anyways. Contrast him, and myself, with the Holy Father, who had a desire to be a cardinal, if not Pope, at that age, but not out of arrogance. He just felt called to it, as it is his path to Heaven. I would love the Holy Father's personality in my own little way, to borrow a phrase from St. Thérèse.

No comments:

Post a Comment